Monday, January 31, 2011

Fly Rods and Rain Sticks - Story


I’m sorry, but I’m a little bummed right now.  I went to the lake to do a little fly fishing, as I pulled in the parking lot, it was full of fancy paint and shiny chrome.  Them city slickers were packing $500 fly rods and wearing them fancy store bought fishing vests.

I just shook my head and started to turn the old red truck around, then I saw my rain stick lying there on the seat.  I had myself one of those brain storms and laughed, I’d show them city folk!

Launching the boat, I rowed right into the middle of that crowd.  The hardware was flying and I thought maybe I was going to get my ears pierced.  I tied a fly on the old Medalist rod and strung out a short line, so’s I could fish one handed. 

Standing tall, waving that fly rod and my rain stick like a crazy man, I started to chant... aye... aye... aye...  The water around me opened like a giant eyeball, and there I stood chanting and catching fish.  After I’d caught about 50 fat rainbows, a bunch of them city slickers left in a big hurry. 

I sure had a laugh on them city folk.  Finally, all wore out from chanting and waving that stick around, I rowed to shore.  Near shore, I started shaking my rain stick... aye... aye... aye... and them people got out of my way.  By the time I loaded the boat, I was feeling pretty smug.

Having a joke on them city slickers was so fun that I went back the next morning.  When I pulled in the parking lot, there was a bunch of them crazy city slickers waving fly rods and rain sticks.  They was all chanting... aye... aye... aye, I just shook my head and left.  I think maybe I’m gonna give up fly fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment