Thursday, February 3, 2011

Scottish Oatcakes - Recipe

Great Grandpa McDougle holding my mother.

My mother was a McDougle and Dad's mom a Gorrie (sept of clan Donald), so when I make these, I can really say they are Scottish Oatcakes.  This is my personal recipe, one that I adapted some time ago.  I put them in the oven at the lowest setting overnight, and by morning, the whole house smells good.  They are amazingly crunchy and flavorful, all you need do is make the coffee.

 Ingredients
6 cups oatmeal
2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 cup water
1 ½ t. baking powder
½ t. salt

Directions
• mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
• add the wet ingredients and mix well
• let stand 1 hour with a dish towel over the top
• divide the dough in half, roll out to 3/8 in. and cut into bars with a pizza cutter
• load on lightly greased cookie sheets
• bake @ 375 degrees for 15 min. then overnight on your oven's lowest setting
• store them in gallon bags with a folded paper towel inside 

No comments:

Post a Comment