Friday, February 25, 2011

I Told Ya...







Daddy

I set our big red coffee can of boot grease and my hunting boots behind the wood stove to warm up.  It wasn’t long, and the smell of old leather boots and boot grease filled the air.  Most of you know what an old boot smells like, but homemade boot grease brings it to a whole new level.  It’s a combination of deer fat, bear fat and neatsfoot oil with a rather special aroma.

It was spring time and that meant high lake fishing.  Uncle Bill, Daddy and I were hiking into Blue Lake early in the morning.  I was greasing my boots with an old rag and using a matchstick to work the grease into the creases like my daddy showed me.  Hiking in the snow is no fun if your boots leak.

Momma, she fixed us a nice breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs.  Daddy noticed I was still wearing my sneakers and told me to get my boots on.  I figured I’d get them on after I loaded my old Army surplus haversack.  Then we were driving up Hwy. 20 towards the Baker Lake turnoff.

When I stepped out at the trail head, I realized that I’d forgot to get my boots on.  All I got from Daddy was, “I told ya to put them boots on.”  All the way into that lake... ankle deep snow, I told ya to put them boots on... knee deep snow, I told ya to put them boots on... thigh deep snow, I told ya to putt them boots on...

By the time we reached the lake, my feet were freezing.  Uncle Bill and Daddy found open water around the edges of the lake to fish.  Me, I was thinking fire and trying to find tinder.  Building a fire when you really need it is something you can’t hurry.  You have to get all your tinder and wood ready and find a good spot.  At last, I had a curl of smoke, a flicker of flame and pretty soon a lively little fire.  I kicked off my shoes and socks hanging them on sticks over the fire to dry.  As my toes warmed up, I got me a great big smile, ahhh... life is good. 

I grabbed up my fishing pole and stood on a big rock, figured I’d catch me a fish to roast on the fire.  Looking over my shoulder, I screamed, “Nooooo!”  Running barefoot, I knocked my flaming socks and sneakers into the snow.  All Daddy could say was, “I told ya to put them boots on.”  All the way down the mountain, I told ya to put them boots on... all the way home, I told ya to put them boots on.  For years and years, all I heard was, "Ya got your boots on?"  



No comments:

Post a Comment