Sunday, January 16, 2011

Seattle Pro Musica - Music Review

Seattle Pro Musica is a choral ensemble conducted by Karen Thomas.  They are the kind of choir that you might expect to find performing for kings and queens in some famous European cathedral.  Even better, they are located in nearby Seattle, Washington.  Pro Musica puts on a series of community concerts and lucky me got to feel like a King when they performed their Water Music concert at our very own Maple Hall in LaConner.

Song and voice washed over me like great ocean waves, leaving my brain awash with adrenalin and endorphins, a powerful natural high.  As they sang You have ravished my heart from Song of Songs, Canticle 4:9-16, it seemed that as their voices rose, they ascended like giant waves, growing taller and taller, and then, as their voices ebbed, they grew smaller and smaller, returning to their normal stature.  I imagined that I was a boy again, and that I was learning to sail.  We skirted the rocky shores of Nova Scotia, Great Grandpa Neil Gorrie was in front of me saying, "Keep the wind in your sails, son."

Lux Lucis by Karen Thomas, is another amazing piece that literally translated means light.  With numerous references to radiance, the harmonies danced like sunlight on the waves, the angelic voices of a hundred waves washed me clean as a new born babe.  I took a few deep breaths and let the song fill my mind until there was nothing left but light and song.  It became the perfect Buddhist meditation, my cluttered mind at last calm and clear, I was living in the moment.

After sailing on the sea of a concert called Water Music, I know that when I die and go to heaven, I'll hear the angels sing and say, "Been there, done that!"  If you are a music lover, you'll want to hear Seattle's Pro Musica, just click on the YouTube link or go to the Pro Musica link to learn more about them and to see their performance schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment