Monday, January 17, 2011

NWIFC News - Swinomish Memories

In 1979, I was hired as a teacher for the LaConner School District and finally retired in 2008.  My journey was long and interesting.  When I arrived in LaConner, I was still a "wet behind the ears," redneck boy from Sedro Woolley.  Landy James and Mary Lou Cladoosby took me under their wing and began teaching me about the Swinomish people and how to behave.  With their help, my journey through Indian Country has been a happy one, and I have many fond memories of my Swinomish students and friends.

For many years, I subscribed to the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission News figuring it would be a good read for my students.  Salmon are an integral part of Native American life in the Pacific Northwest.  The natives really do care about the survival and enhancement of salmon runs, and they are doing everything they can to protect and preserve them.  After having read the Northwest Indian Fisheries News, I was amazed at how much was being done.  I was always impressed by Billy Frank's many editorials on Being Frank, he is a great orator on both the stage and on paper, his words are worth listening to and thinking about.

Those of you who care about our salmon runs should read the Northwest Indian Fisheries News, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  You can access it by clicking on the attached link.  The many articles and photos can be accessed by clicking on the various title boxes - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment